Blog Content - What's happening?

Firstly, thanks for visiting my blog! Secondly, I should explain the logic behind the posts. Some posts I'm doing 'on the fly' while others are posts relating to past experiences. I'll try to title them accordingly or you can search using tags.

Monday, January 30, 2012

Weird Doors & Why I'm NOT a Vegetarian

This is just a random 'unpublished' journal entry from our trip to Argentina in 2010

This blog post is inspired by some weird things concerning doors and some of the best meat I've ever tasted. Firstly, the doors here in Buenos Aires are a strange phenomenon. This phenomenon includes the height of the doors and the way they lock. As for the food, tonight I was completely blown away with how good the meat is here (especially considering the price); not to mention the intensity of the wine and the freshness of the pasta and vegetables.

I have never been to Paris but so many people have been comparing it to Buenos Aires (BsAs). I'm not sure if the similarities extend to the way doors are made (doubt it) but I wouldn't put anything past the French (or any other 1st world country for that matter). The first thing to point out is that the doors here are exquisite. The doors range in size and width; some being at least 11 feet high and others being as narrow as 2 feet such as one of the bedroom doors in our apartment. When we walk down the streets here in BsAs sometimes we stop just to look at the doors that form the entryway to apartment buildings, huge mansions and government buildings.

There is however a quirk to the doors here (as far as we've seen so far) and it has to do with the locks; this leads me to multiple WTF moments of the week: 1) I've noticed that a few stores have locked doors; from bakeries to luggage stores you need to stand at the door like an idiot wondering why it doesn't open and then you hear the buzzing sound letting you in. 2) All doors swing inwards which makes sense in terms of not 'taking out' pedestrians when existing a shop but I'm not used to this... so this 'WTF' refers to my stupidity when risking the dislocation of my shoulder everything I forcefully try to pull a door open towards the street. 3) Doors lock, all the freakin' time.... WTF?!!!! Let me paint the picture for you... In our case, let's say the apartment is on fire and we need to get out FAST. We run to the door, turn the handle and we can't get out because we need the key (from the inside). Okay, where's the key? I don't know because it's too smokey in here... next option?  Our next option is a 70 foot plunge into the concrete.  Okay, so I'm not from BsAs and I'm sure there's a logical reason for all this but seriously this place would be hell for people who can't find their car keys. On the other hand, if your kids are grounded there is zero chance of them escaping the house if you take the keys with you. (I did think about locking Vicky in the room the other day though... :-).

FOOD TIME

As we're getting more familiar with the butcher, produce markets, fish-monger, pasta maker and cheese makers along our street, our appreciation for the food here is increasing. Along one side of a block a few blocks away from our place all of these food places are next to one another. Today we learned that 'Ojo de bife' in Argentina means 'Rib Eye'. We learned this from our new friend (the former Mr. Gay Argentina), Marcelo explained to us what the best cut of beef is around here. We walked straight to the butcher with paper in hand and told the butcher, 'Ojo de beef?', he responds, 'Si, Oho de biff' and walks to the back with a smile on his face. I could tell he respected our fine choice. After collecting some fresh pasta and sauce (salsa) we grabbed some beer and headed home.

I won't elaborate on my food preparation but I will say that when I put the first piece of steak in my mouth I think a tear came to my eyes because it might have been the most tender and fresh meat I've ever tasted. I'm not even joking either, it was that freakin' good. As somebody who can be very money minded, let me break it down for you:

1) 2 kilos of 'Ojo de bife' = 25 pesos
2) 2 kilos of fresh vermicelli and sauce = 25 pesos
3) 1 bottle of Malbec = 12 pesos
4) 1 baguette = 1 peso
5) fresh vegetables = 5 pesos

Total = 71 pesos, with enough pasta and sauce to last all day tomorrow, is around $16 (CDN, USD). Are you kidding me? I really think I'll have a hard time leaving this city, just the thought of leaving makes me upset at this point. I can only IMAGINE what would be possible with a full kitchen, my knives and fresh spices (the only thing eluding me so far). Thankfully there is an abundance of butter, salt and olive oil here.... this place is a cook's heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment